Potential customers are more open to invest in products and services if they know the owner, so networking face to face is a great way for you to market your services.
Here’s some top tips:
- Everyone had to start somewhere, so nerves are to be expected. Don’t worry if you feel nervous, it’ll ease, just smile and listen if you don’t yet feel comfortable to talk about yourself.
- If you can take a dog along, do! Everyone loves dog therapy and it’s such a great conversation starter.
- If you find someone else there has their own dog, maybe arrange to meet up one day for a walk so they can get to know, like and trust you – which can then lead to recommendations.
- Don’t expect one visit to a networking event to turn into lots of new customers, it rarely does. You need to show up regularly so people know you’re worth investing in and not just someone who’s in and out of business quicker than you can say ‘don’t poop there!’.
- If after a few visits you feel the networking event isn’t for you, that’s fine. Have a look online or on Eventbrite to see what other events are coming up that might be better suited to you.
- Wear your uniform so you feel relaxed; business networking is no longer a formal affair. It’ll also make others feel at ease as the logo is a great conversation starter.
- There’s sometimes a table to put business cards and leaflets, so take some along with you so you can share yours too.
- If someone shows a genuine interest in your services, hand them a leaflet personally so they have something to remember you by.
- Talk lovingly about your business and how much it means to you, people love to know you love what you do.
- Show an interest in others’ businesses.